Author Topic: Deep Politics forum locked?  (Read 7947 times)

TLR

Deep Politics forum locked?
« on: September 10, 2013, 07:42:58 PM »
Has anyone else had trouble the last couple of days getting into the DP forum? It keeps asking for my username and password, but still won't let me in. I can't even view the site.

Tim Weaver

Re: Deep Politics forum locked?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 08:53:27 AM »
Yes....its asks me for a windows security name and password.
Kind of strange.

TLR

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 11:27:14 AM »
It looks like JFK forums are being attacked. Keep your eyes open, Alan and Karl.

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=20429

Cutty

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 02:35:58 PM »
Thank you, TLR.

As you all may know there was a hacking of the SMF company's forum which closed this one down for a short period back when we first went public with it. We are always connected to them for update notifications, etc. Apparently, the hacker's objective was to garner passwords so .............

All members be aware that it is not a good idea to use a password here that you use anywhere else, especially financial institutions. Identity theft can be a pretty sophisticated racket! Once a hacker has a password, especially one used by an administrator, he can enter a forum with full admin access and ultimately cross reference countless databases for a matching password. That said, if you do use the same password here that you use elsewhere I suggest that you change it here and it wouldn't hurt to change it wherever else the same one is used also. I suppose that it's not a bad idea to stick to that rule for any one of your passwords anywhere on the web.

This can't happen over in our archives at the original forum and we weren't affected at all when that happened some weeks back because it is our private site and has the extra level of security. I saw that piopat has posted there recently and that is fine and much appreciated because we left it up and running for our "grandfathered" members to access. Remember that we are on our honor not to share the keys to that place with others unless someone approaches me or Alan to register a member from here.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 04:53:48 PM by Karl »