Author Topic: Oswald`s Finances  (Read 9610 times)

Kelly

Oswald`s Finances
« on: August 21, 2013, 06:15:46 PM »
I`ll start this old topic from the other forum. There are new people on here and they may like to share their thoughts on this. Oswald worked for $1.25 an hour according to most sources. That is a grand old $50.00 a week or $100.00 every 2 weeks. I don`t know how often Oswald was paid. According to the Warren Commission Oswald left that Friday morning (Nov. 22, 1963) leaving Marina his wedding ring and $170.00. The inflation calculator I used on the internet says that $170.00 is equalivant to $1,297.76 in 2013 money. How did Oswald get that much money? They never had money for anything. I think someone put a chart on the other forum concerning how Oswald was able to obtain such as large amount of money. I know he was frugal, but come on! Oswald was able to move about between Fort Worth, Dallas, and New Orleans. He went to Russia for Pete`s sake. He went to Mexico City (probably). He bought guns and from what I`ve read, he didn`t keep a job long. What I`m suggesting is that perhaps the CIA paid him noney to give to Marina. He was going away for a long time or forever and I suggest he left her that money to help her along with the kids and all. Any thoughts??

Tim Weaver

Re: Oswald`s Finances
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 10:16:06 AM »
At this time wasnt LHO also sending money orders to Washington DC to repay a loan that got him retunred to the USA?

Kelly

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 01:19:31 PM »
 ;) Hi Tim. For a time, Oswald was indeed paying back a large loan to the State Department. I 'm not sure of the time frame or the amount he had to pay.

TLR

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 07:00:11 PM »
Oswald paid off his loan in January 1963. He also owned a lot of photographic equipment and had money for printing handbills and the rest of his activities. I think he was definitely being paid small amounts of cash through P.O. Boxes for whatever low-level intelligence work he was doing.

Kelly

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 05:43:23 AM »
Hi TLR. I see that I put his thread under the wrong heading. I wonder if I should delete it and start again? Anyway, I do believe that Oswald was being paid for his intelligence work. The only thing that bothers me is that $170.00 wan not a small sum of money back then. This indicates to me that Oswald at some point pulled this large sum of money either out of a bank or under his mattress. It just doesn`t seem possible to me for someone to be able to squirrel away that sum of money when he just made just $50.00 for 40 hours.