Author Topic: Impressions: JFK Lancer's 19th Annual NID Conference  (Read 10521 times)

Alan Dale

• Administrator
Impressions: JFK Lancer's 19th Annual NID Conference
« on: November 25, 2013, 06:21:56 PM »
Speaking as one of the hosts and the MC of this years conference, it may take a while to properly assess the whirlwind of participants, conferees, presentations, politics, personalities, and atmosphere of our four day immersion at The Adolphus Hotel, Nov. 21 - 24.

It was an overwhelming success. I'm very grateful. That I know.

Among those who attended and/or were featured as presenters:

Bill Simpich
Jefferson Morley
Sherry P. Fiester
Jim DiEugenio
Pat Speer
James Douglass
Dick Russell
James Tague
Brent Holland (with original interviews with Ted Sorensen and Abraham Bolden)
Joan Mellen
Donald Thomas
Larry Hancock
Stuart Wexler
Rolie Zavada
Russ Baker
Joe Backes
Barry Ernest
Ian Griggs
William Law w/Jim Jenkins
Casey Quinlan
Brian Edwards
Rex Bradford
William Law
Dr. Josiah Thompson
Dr. David Mantik
Jim Marrs
Dr. Cyril Wecht

and Beverly Oliver kissed me on the mouth twice.

:-|

I'll go into detail about the speakers and their presentations within the next days. First I need a nap. In the meantime, allow me to share the following:

On Day One, within 10 seconds of leaving the podium after my opening remarks welcoming our attendees, kicking off our conference, my phone rang.

It was Dr. John Newman.

Surreal does not begin to cover it.

More later.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 10:35:26 PM by Alan Dale »
Our future may lie beyond our vision, but it is not completely beyond our control. It is the shaping impulse of America that neither fate nor nature nor the irresistible tides of history, but the work of our own hands, matched to reason and principle, that will determine our destiny.

RFK

TLR

Re: Impressions: JFK Lancer's 19th Annual NID Conference
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 07:50:55 PM »
Looking forward to hearing more, Alan. I hope it was all filmed.

Alan Dale

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 08:27:28 PM »
Looking forward to hearing more, Alan. I hope it was all filmed.

^ Thank you, T. I am sure that it was videotaped. I am hopeful that it all turned out.

Quite an extraordinary experience.

During my remarks at the awards banquet, I looked around the room at a virtual Who's Who of distinguished assassination researchers and scholars. Paraphrasing my favorite president of the 20th century I said,

This is the most extraordinary gathering of intellect and talent ever assembled, with the possible exception of when President Kennedy dined alone.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 08:29:56 PM by Alan Dale »
Our future may lie beyond our vision, but it is not completely beyond our control. It is the shaping impulse of America that neither fate nor nature nor the irresistible tides of history, but the work of our own hands, matched to reason and principle, that will determine our destiny.

RFK

echelon

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 04:50:33 AM »

Wow!

What a cast of characters.

And why shouldn't you be among them.

Wonder if Sherry and David Mantik found a few moments to share a coffee ...!?

Sherry

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 12:16:53 PM »
David and I did indeed have a few moments to talk at the Lancer conference.

The most memorable was during his focus group breakout session. He was presenting on the bullet fragments displayed in the X-rays and was apparently suggesting they indicated a bullet trajectory. I arrived a little late and sat in the rear of the room next to John Costella (who, along with his adorable wife Sally, has become a dear friend). I asked John if David was saying the X-Rays indicated a bullet trajectory and he stated he could not be certain as David's voice was hard to hear. The projected slide seemed to indicate that very premise however, so John stood and asked the question, already knowing the answer needed to be NO it does not. David's response, on seeing we were sitting together, was, "perhaps Sherry can come up here and address that."

So, I walked to the front of the room and explained why the trajectory of a bullet can not be determined from bullet fragments. David asked me to provide wound ballistic information for the remainder of his time (about 20 minutes). And in the end, thanked me for my information and for the clarification I offered. Lots of heavy hitters were present, and not one person objected, dissented, or even asked a question. Forensics is science, and it is hard to argue that.

I also stressed most problems for the research community occurred when people step outside their area of expertise and make assumptions or statements that can not be proven, or that are simply erroneous. I told the group David was an expert on reading X-rays, but I was the forensic and wound ballistic expert. We need to stick to our specific fields of expertise.  It was a pivotal point in understanding for David and several others. I imagine almost everyone in the room felt like I did: very surprised. It was like being in the twilight zone.

echelon

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 06:19:03 AM »
Good for you, Sherry.

At the same time, it's a pity that your presentations often seem to be met with a lack of objections, dissent or even questions.  I agree with you that it is hard to argue with science.  However, a good airing of these difficult issues in an open forum would help to drive home the points you are trying to make.  I fear that a general lack of reaction leaves some of your audience free to leave the room in possession of the same scientific misunderstandings (and prejudices) with which they came in.

I don't know how one combats that.