Author Topic: Essential: Reasonable Doubt by Henry Hurt  (Read 10519 times)

TLR

Essential: Reasonable Doubt by Henry Hurt
« on: July 13, 2013, 10:44:45 AM »
One of the most "user-friendly" books on the assassination I've ever read, and the best introduction to the subject for novices, is Reasonable Doubt by Henry Hurt (1986).

A Readers Digest roving editor and political conservative, Hurt's manuscript was reviewed by Harold Weisberg and Sylvia Meagher before it was published. Hurt began his work on the subject when he received a call in 1981 from a man who claimed he had participated in the assassination, Robert Easterling. The chapter on Easterling is the only weak section of the book. He talked to the man and then decided to plunge into "the murk of the Kennedy assassination" to judge his claims. The only previous connection he had had with the subject was in locating and interviewing Marines who had served with Oswald for Edward Epstein's book Legend. He recalled that many of his fellow Marines said Oswald was physically uncoordinated, which made it difficult for him to shoot and was the reason why he didn't drive.

"During the early months of work, I fully expected that at any moment I would encounter that single, unalterable piece of evidence that left no question that Oswald was the man who killed Kennedy....That discovery never came. Instead, the evidence continued to point in a different direction...A powerful case can be made that Oswald did not kill Kennedy."

Kelly

Re: Essential: Reasonable Doubt by Henry Hurt
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 12:13:36 PM »
Believe it or not. a month or two ago I was browsing in a second had shop and came upon this book. I grabbed it right up.

Mitch C.

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 01:31:16 PM »
^ In light of everything else you have absorbed, Kelly...how would you rate the book on the credibility range?

Kelly

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 06:48:08 PM »
Hi Mitch. This book was published in 1985 so keeping that in mind, I find the book very credible for the most part. Like TLR states, the chapter on Easterling is weak. It does seem to cover most of the issues in the case. It is a 555 page book. Here are the Contents:
Acknowledgments xi
Introduction 1
1. The Stage 13
2. Blue-Ribbon Whitewash 21
3. Autopsy of the Century 35
4. The Mystery of the Magic Bullet 61
5. Oswald and the Sniper's Perch 87
6. The Puzzles of Dealey Plaza 110
7. Tippit's Murder: Rosetta Stone or Red Herring? 139
8. Jack Ruby: Pimp for All Seasons 170
9. Fingerprints of Intelligence 192
10. New Orleans, USA 256
11. The Cuban Question: Coincidence or Conspiracy 308
12. The Confession of Robert Easterling 346
13. The Enduring Puzzle 392
14. Aftermath and Perspective 429
      Notes 440
      Selected Bibliography 524
      Index 533
      32 pages of photographs follow pages 132 and 262

Mitch C.

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 12:08:23 PM »
May have to search for a used copy on Amazon. I paid full price for "Enemy of the Truth..", so have to watch my "book budget". We have a kindle, but so many of these books are not down-loadable.

Kelly

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 04:34:29 PM »
Mitch, I always look for a used book first. I even try to see if the library will buy it.